Microscopic examination is an essential part of the foundry process that ensures the correct structure of the metal forming the casting has been achieved during manufacturing.
It can also be used to identify the nature of defects and inclusions resulting from the casting process.
We have the capability to examine samples by Stereo Macroscope, Microscope and Scanning Electron Microscope, carrying out examinations of grain size and phase and inclusion content.
- Stereo Macroscope – x5 to x50 magnification
- Microscope – x50 to x2000 magnification
- Scanning Electron Microscope – up to x80000 magnification
Standard tests are conducted to international standard techniques, including:
- Grain Size Measurement – ASTM E112
- Phase Content – ASTM E562
- Inclusion Content – BS 7926